How did you start reading Perry Rhodan?

Antworten
Cäsar
Terraner

How did you start reading Perry Rhodan?

Beitrag von Cäsar »

As it's much harder to gain access to Perry Rhodan (or even get to now the series) in other countries than Germany, I find it interessting how you found your way to Perry Rhodan. So, how did you start reading Perry Rhodan?

You may of course also answer in Portugese or other languages, of course, but I won't, so please forgive me that I only ask the question in English.
:aa:, Cäsar

Der zusammengefasste Fanroman des NGF

Mehr Weltraumhühner!
César Maciel
Siganese

Re: How did you start reading Perry Rhodan?

Beitrag von César Maciel »

I think most Brazilian fans got to know the series just like I did: by seeing the issues on newsstands across the country. Although the series was published in Brazil for 22 years (1975-1991 and 2001-2007), it was widely available on newsstands only for a short eight-year interval (from 1983 to 1991), which also was, unsurprisingly, the period when most of the fans I know got to know the series.

Having said that, I purchased my first Perrys (issues 223, 225 and 226) in 1985, at the tender age of 12, because I needed something to read for the weekend... Since they were cheap and had beautiful space-themed covers, I decided to give them a try... Needless to say, I've been hooked ever since!
Ich bin Redakteur der brasilianische PERRY RHODAN Ausgabe. I can read German, but sometimes I write in English because it's faster...
http://www.cesarmaciel.wordpress.com / http://www.perry-rhodan.com.br
Goris
Siganese

Beitrag von Goris »

I was, since I was a kid, a science big fiction fan.

I began watching japanese movie and tokatsus, lik Ultraman, Giant Robot and so on and then I got to cartoons and american series, like Lost in Space, Voyage to the bottom of the sea, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Logan's Run, Blacktstar, Galaxy Trio, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Space Ghost and Herculiods. The sci-fi theme always fascinated me.

Unaffortunatelly, may parentes hadn't enough money to give sic-fi books (trying to remember, I think there was not a single book store in the city anyway) and the theme sci-fi was not popular in the public library, so I read mostrly DC and Marvel comic books at the time.

When I was around 13 years old, an old Perry Rhodan fan donated almost 200 Perry Rhodan editions to my school's Library.

I remember as it was yesterday, I took the P300 - Alerta no Setor Alvorada and the cover (with Roy Danton in his 18th century clothes) was not as atractive to someone looking for "serious" sci-fi and I took P-304 - Ataque a Old Man. Wow, I soon became addict to Perry Rhodan, everyday I took another book readed it at home and returned it the next day.

And so, I became a great Perry Rhodan fan!

Well, my english is so bad I prefer stop by here.
Someday I'll think about a good signature.
hrmorg
Siganese

Beitrag von hrmorg »

I first bought PR on a newstand near my school; I was 14 and I was a 'sci-fi' addict because all that TV series. When I found PR adventures, I thought "Wow! This is very cool!" I became a fan of that series.
jerrys109
Marsianer

Beitrag von jerrys109 »

Hi There,
Many years ago, when I was a teenager, I used to read Forry Ackerman's Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine. I was also an avid reader of science fiction, so as I was going through the book stand in my local soda shop I noticed Forry's name inside a Perry Rhodan book in it. The rest, as they say, is history. ;)

Jerry
Slartibartfast
Forums-KI

Beitrag von Slartibartfast »

The good old years in the late Seventies... I was high in "scifi-tech"-comics, Franco-Belgian comics, Yoko Tsuno, Les Naufragés du temps (Die Schiffbrüchigen der Zeit) and "superheroes / -villains with science", like Fantastc Four with their n-dimensional laboratory, parallel universes, space-time-foldings and ruptures etc.

And I read Scifi-Jugendbücher, "youth-books" from Rolf Ulrici, with the spaceships Monitor, Meteor and Rotor
http://www.fictionfantasy.de/raumschiff ... erschollen
http://detlef-heinsohn.de/ki-ulrici.htm ... 0-%20Reihe
Earth-drill Giganto

Then I discovered the Perry-novels with its fascinating wild scifi-covers at my local magazine-dealer, but I didn't understand anything from the story, plot, persons in the novels. :D The Erstauflage was in the 9xx numbers, Zweitauflage in the late 6xx. Mahlstrom, Kobold, Konzil, Balayndagar, Kelosker and 7-D math, Orbiter, Amtranik, Margor, Loower... everything very complicated and confusing. :o(
But I was young and had still patience at that time. :D
So I tried a Perry-novel from time to time - and with issue #350 'Robot-Patrouille' Drittauflage the fire was ignited (and still burns, sometimes glows). I began reading Drittauflage regularly and later Erstauflage from #1000, and 2nd edition too. So long ago, sigh.

Two pictures from Les Naufragés du temps (thanks bernie7)
http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~papierbd/Bo ... 20page.jpg
jaybee45
Siganese

Beitrag von jaybee45 »

[quote="Cäsar"]As it's much harder to gain access to Perry Rhodan (or even get to now the series) in other countries than Germany, I find it interessting how you found your way to Perry Rhodan. So, how did you start reading Perry Rhodan?

Back in the seventies, I started reading science fiction (E E Doc Smith's Lensman series was the very first). Several years later (still the seventies), I simply found Perry Rhodan #1 in the English "Orbit" editions, and started from there. Then found the Ace editions. I was heartbroken when Ace stopped printing. I was still under 18 then, and from Australia could not possibly subscribe to the "Kris Darkon" service. So much easier now with the internet!!!! :-)
Creature
Siganese

Beitrag von Creature »

Hello:
I found Perry Rhodan through Forry Ackerman and was impressed that even though I had bought #1 it was already nearly ten years old, and that Perry Rhodan was still being produced. I snapped up several of the Ace Editions though I couldn't keep up with the frequency. I'm still delightfully amazed that forty plus years later Perry Rhodan is still going strong. I still don't have all the Ace Editions but I have a fair number of them and still pick them up when I find them. :st:
Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"
Slartibartfast
Forums-KI

Beitrag von Slartibartfast »

Hi John, welcome and Happy Easter! Bild
jmhoraze
Siganese

Beitrag von jmhoraze »

hmmm....

I took a heft sporting a very nice cover, opened it and saw text on the pages; so I start reading th lines! ;-)

My first PERRY RHODAN-heft was in the mid sixties, a used one, #87 or so; since then I was hooked, and I have all >2750 issues.
I even got the USA softcover book version (F.Ackerman) , used, in one big carton from a nice lady whose husband has passed away; that was about 15 years ago.

And the USA Heft/Magazine version (J.Foyt)... Loooking forward to the USA eBook editions!
Grusz,
jm.
jerrys109
Marsianer

Beitrag von jerrys109 »

As a kid in the seventies, I was a already a big science fiction fan here in the United States. One day I saw a copy of Mission Stardust in the book carousel of my local stationary store/diner and that was it. I was hooked and read the series it till the bitter end, when Forry and Wendy Ackerman self published issues, trying to keep it up.
Then when John Foyt tried to start it back up with issue 1800, I couldn't believe that it had still been going on and expanding over all those years. When Vector's attempt sadly failed, the PC had been created and finally reached the stage where I could use translation software to work on issues for myself, starting with issue 2000.
And now here I am, working on issue 2609 , still hoping that VPM can finally get their program up and running to reach for the stars once again...

Jerry
alemaopazeamor
Siganese

Beitrag von alemaopazeamor »

I remember when I was a kid, that in my room, along with my older brothers, the shelf where the TV was possessed an unevenness due to the floor.
To that television would not be inclined, one of my brothers made ​​a book as a shim.
After a long time, we went into another room, and to withdraw the television where she was, I took the book that served as a shim.

Was the volume of 200 Perry Rhodan series...
:D
palmerwmd
Siganese

Beitrag von palmerwmd »

I lived in germany a long time ago.

My german was quite fluent then ( now its an effort to type it at times), and there was simply nothing like Perry Rhodan.

I also enjoyed Heinlein, Herbert and Dickson and many mor eothers I can list.

Still Perry Rhodan due to its huuuuge plot arc is irresistable.
It does reflect german society though and since then german society has undergone many changes, not all of which conducive to the big thinking that produces big plots.

I'm now plugging thru the 1600's in PR.... Cant wait to catch up.
The Cantaro cycle was pretty good and had a little of that old school PR flair in it.
Everyday Men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?
PS: Entschuldigt bitte mein holpriges Deutsch, Deutschstaemmiger Ami hier.
palmerwmd
Siganese

Beitrag von palmerwmd »

jerrys109 hat geschrieben:As a kid in the seventies, I was a already a big science fiction fan here in the United States. One day I saw a copy of Mission Stardust in the book carousel of my local stationary store/diner and that was it. I was hooked and read the series it till the bitter end, when Forry and Wendy Ackerman self published issues, trying to keep it up.
Then when John Foyt tried to start it back up with issue 1800, I couldn't believe that it had still been going on and expanding over all those years. When Vector's attempt sadly failed, the PC had been created and finally reached the stage where I could use translation software to work on issues for myself, starting with issue 2000.
And now here I am, working on issue 2609 , still hoping that VPM can finally get their program up and running to reach for the stars once again...

Jerry
Jerry wow thats incredible!
self translation via software!!
Thats a lot of effort :st:
palmerwmd
Siganese

Beitrag von palmerwmd »

Slartibartfast hat geschrieben:The good old years in the late Seventies... I was high in "scifi-tech"-comics, Franco-Belgian comics, Yoko Tsuno, Les Naufragés du temps (Die Schiffbrüchigen der Zeit) and "superheroes / -villains with science", like Fantastc Four with their n-dimensional laboratory, parallel universes, space-time-foldings and ruptures etc.

And I read Scifi-Jugendbücher, "youth-books" from Rolf Ulrici, with the spaceships Monitor, Meteor and Rotor
http://www.fictionfantasy.de/raumschiff ... erschollen
Earth-drill Giganto

Then I discovered the Perry-novels with its fascinating wild scifi-covers at my local magazine-dealer, but I didn't understand anything from the story, plot, persons in the novels. :D The Erstauflage was in the 9xx numbers, Zweitauflage in the late 6xx. Mahlstrom, Kobold, Konzil, Balayndagar, Kelosker and 7-D math, Orbiter, Amtranik, Margor, Loower... everything very complicated and confusing. :o(
But I was young and had still patience at that time. :D
So I tried a Perry-novel from time to time - and with issue #350 'Robot-Patrouille' Drittauflage the fire was ignited (and still burns, sometimes glows). I began reading Drittauflage regularly and later Erstauflage from #1000, and 2nd edition too. So long ago, sigh.

Two pictures from Les Naufragés du temps (thanks bernie7)
Thanks for these links!
They also bring back some memories. :)
superstrijder15
Siganese

Beitrag von superstrijder15 »

I'm quite new to the series. Last summer we were on a vacation in England and there was nothing to do, so I got my dads E-reader and started reading some books. After reading the entire Harry Potter franchise in about a week, I still needed more and tried sorting things in different manners. Alphabetical order gave me 001 - Operatie Stardust (I think) and I was like '3 digits, that must be a lotta books, let's see if this is nice beause I wouldn't have to search for books for a long time!' It was nice

I am now at issue ~206 out of ~500 which are on the E-reader. I am seriously considering learning to read German so I can continue beyond that, as the Dutch translations are quite clumsy and it's easier to get the German E-books.
Disclaimer: Ich sprach kein Deutsch
Bitte hilfe mij mit meine Deutsch und sag mir was Ich sag nicht gut als Ich mach eine Fehler.
eblonk
Siganese

Beitrag von eblonk »

In the early 80s my mother picked up a copy at the ‘sigarenboer’* down the street. She knew I liked SF so she thought I would like this. Had I come across it myself I would’ve passed because the titles and Johnny Bruck covers would have made me turn away in disgust. What can I say? I was in my early teens and an absolute snob about what good SF was, and very defensive about ‘low-brow’ SF (I still loved Star Wars though, not exactly Shakespearian dialogue level).
I fell hook, line and sinker. Some time after that in a magazine shop near school I ran into the magazine of science fiction club PRSFV Terra (PR standing for Perry Rhodan, which they’ve dropped from the name in recent years but they were founded in the early 70s to convince the Dutch publisher to keep publishing Perry Rhodan in Dutch after they initially stopped after 10 or so weeklies). They sold German Rhodan merchandise (Silberbanden, cassettes and vinyl with audiobooks and plays, the famous blueprintbooks - which I sold, silly me, dictionaries etc) and it’s safe to say Perry Rhodan is 90% of why I can understand German and hold my own in a conversation even though I get next to no practice in that regard. Downside: it’s a minor challenge for me to ask for directions in a German city. Upside: I can pilot a spaceship through linear space as long as the labels on the instruments are in German.

In the late 80s I stopped reading. Then in 2015 I came across Neo on Audible US. Long story short: I switched to Audible Germany and with a few false starts I’m back to the original series, now racing through the Silber Edition audiobooks at a rate of 1 or more per month. Did 1 through 12 and now jumped to 74, the Konzil der Sieben (#650) because that’s were I started in the 80s and I want to finish the Voltz era (650 - 1000, Silber Editions 74 - 118) first. I may listen to the audiobooks from episode 2400 simultaneously because at Audible they cost only €10 ($12) per 10, the same as a single Silber Edition which are on average 8.5 episodes. These are reworked omnibuses of roughly 6 to 10 episodes, mainly leaving out repetitions between episodes that you don’t need in one volume and sometimes correcting errors from the individual episodes. You need a subscription but you can start and stop it every month.
Serien entdeckt 1983. Neu gestartet 2017. Gelesen seit 2017: 129
1 - 107 / 650 - 663 / 700 - 705 / 2400 - 2401
eblonk
Siganese

Beitrag von eblonk »

Forgot to explain ‘sigarenboer’. Literally cigar farmer but in this combination boer means seller or trader. It’s (or was, most disappeared in that form) a shop where you can buy cigarettes, cigars, magazines, newspapers, magazines and candy. Sort of a bigger shop version of a newsstand.
Serien entdeckt 1983. Neu gestartet 2017. Gelesen seit 2017: 129
1 - 107 / 650 - 663 / 700 - 705 / 2400 - 2401
pulprack
Siganese

Beitrag von pulprack »

I first encountered Perry Rhodan in 1973 in a bookstore in a shopping mall in Clarksville, Tennessee. I lived in a small farming community about 40 miles away in Kentucky. Our town had no bookstore, but drug stores and dime stores stocked a few paperbacks in spinner racks. So anytime our family traveled to a larger town with a bookstore, I asked to visit it.

At the time I avidly read comic books, mysteries and science fiction, and I liked books in a series—at the time I was reading Bantam Books’ Doc Savage reprints, Ed McBain’s 87th Precinct novels, and the Tarzan novels. I was intrigued by this SF series, and I started with Ace Books’ number 21, THE COSMIC DECOY (PR hefte 28, DER KOSMISCHE LOCKVOGEL).

I was hooked. I eventually subscribed to the Ace series. I contributed black-and-white cover drawings to a Rhodan fanzine. I had a letter published in one of the Ace books. (So this isn’t my first PR missive.) I stayed with the series until its publishing days ended in the United States.

Work and family obligations stymied my efforts at learning to read German (and I made multiple attempts, but couldn’t sustain them), so I kept my eyes open for any return to English editions by PR. I stumbled across the first entry in the LEMURIA miniseries in a Barnes & Noble bookstore, but couldn’t finish the series until it later appeared in ebook format. Even then, the plot took place so far after where the Ace editions left off, I was rather lost and dissatisfied.

Later, I learned about the Perrypedia, which helped fill in the gaps. But using Google Translate and reading ABOUT Rhodan wasn’t as satisfying as reading the actual stories. But the fascination initiated by those Ace books in the 1970s stuck with me and I continued to search out news about the PR series.
AushilfsMutant
Superintelligenz

Beitrag von AushilfsMutant »

Its very sad that the Perry Rhodan Serie is so unkown in the English World.
„...der Gastgeber fragt in die Runde, was den jeder gerne zu trinken hätte. Der Kosmokrat reagiert verwirrt, man kann mehr als nur Wasser trinken? Der Chaotarch, der gleich neben an sitzt, fragt sich ob es auch genug Tee/Wasser/Kaffee....Arten im Angebot gibt. Darauf hin, kommt es zum Streit zwischen den Beiden, was den nun die richtige Flüssigkeit zum Trinken sei...“

Auszug auf dem Buch: Die Hohen Mächte und der Moralische Code (Band 14, Seite 345, Absatz 2)
Wulfman
Oxtorner

Beitrag von Wulfman »

My aunt gave me the silver volume 18 for my 13th birthday (I think I don't remember exactly). That was the story with Lemy Danger and Melbar Kasom and I was immediately captivated by the book and bought more. For once I would like to advertise a German translation tool that is much better than Google Translator. For those who don't know it yet: https://www.deepl.com/translator
Torsten Pieper
Marsianer

Beitrag von Torsten Pieper »

By coincident :)
I found this shiny silver book on a shelf in a Karstadt Store. Back at home .. I read the book through in one go, from 3pm to 11pm B-)
It was Number one "Unternehmen Stardust"
This was around 1996 and I never heard of Perry Rhodan before. Then I found the magazines in a Lotto and Magazine-Store and couldn't stop reading any more.
Bye! Torsten
palmerwmd2
Marsianer

Beitrag von palmerwmd2 »

pulprack hat geschrieben: 5. Dezember 2020, 18:39 I first encountered Perry Rhodan in 1973 in a bookstore in a shopping mall in Clarksville, Tennessee. I lived in a small farming community about 40 miles away in Kentucky. Our town had no bookstore, but drug stores and dime stores stocked a few paperbacks in spinner racks. So anytime our family traveled to a larger town with a bookstore, I asked to visit it.

At the time I avidly read comic books, mysteries and science fiction, and I liked books in a series—at the time I was reading Bantam Books’ Doc Savage reprints, Ed McBain’s 87th Precinct novels, and the Tarzan novels. I was intrigued by this SF series, and I started with Ace Books’ number 21, THE COSMIC DECOY (PR hefte 28, DER KOSMISCHE LOCKVOGEL).

I was hooked. I eventually subscribed to the Ace series. I contributed black-and-white cover drawings to a Rhodan fanzine. I had a letter published in one of the Ace books. (So this isn’t my first PR missive.) I stayed with the series until its publishing days ended in the United States.

Work and family obligations stymied my efforts at learning to read German (and I made multiple attempts, but couldn’t sustain them), so I kept my eyes open for any return to English editions by PR. I stumbled across the first entry in the LEMURIA miniseries in a Barnes & Noble bookstore, but couldn’t finish the series until it later appeared in ebook format. Even then, the plot took place so far after where the Ace editions left off, I was rather lost and dissatisfied.

Later, I learned about the Perrypedia, which helped fill in the gaps. But using Google Translate and reading ABOUT Rhodan wasn’t as satisfying as reading the actual stories. But the fascination initiated by those Ace books in the 1970s stuck with me and I continued to search out news about the PR series.
Wow you can get the Lemuria series in English! :st:
Everyday, Men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?
palmerwmd2
Marsianer

Beitrag von palmerwmd2 »

Torsten Pieper hat geschrieben: 7. Dezember 2020, 19:12 By coincident :)
I found this shiny silver book on a shelf in a Karstadt Store. Back at home .. I read the book through in one go, from 3pm to 11pm B-)
It was Number one "Unternehmen Stardust"
This was around 1996 and I never heard of Perry Rhodan before. Then I found the magazines in a Lotto and Magazine-Store and couldn't stop reading any more.
Bye! Torsten
Do those stores still exist?
I remember back in the day It was a great place ona visit to germany to pick up silverbooks.
Luckily by that time I was an adult to budget was not an issue merely the room in the suitcase was.
Everyday, Men who will follow orders to kill you, exercise. Do you?
Antworten

Zurück zu „International“