Informazionen Explorer-Klasse

Technik, Galaxien, Welten, Völker, SIs und andere Wunder...
Antworten
superstrijder15
Siganese

Informazionen Explorer-Klasse

Beitrag von superstrijder15 »

Hello Everyone,

I am (very slowly) translating the PR wiki to English. Currently I work on the Explorerflotte article. This article contains very little information on the exploration vessels themselves, and I can't find a lot of info elsewhere either. Do you guys have any information about the Explorer ships?

Hallo Allen,

Ich bin die PR wiki am Überzetzen. Das Artikel das ich übersetzt ist 'Explorerflotte'. Die Artikel habt sehr wenig Informazionen von die Explorer-Klasse raumschiffen, und Ich kan diese nicht finde. Habt sie informazionen von diese raumschiffen?
Disclaimer: Ich sprach kein Deutsch
Bitte hilfe mij mit meine Deutsch und sag mir was Ich sag nicht gut als Ich mach eine Fehler.
Gregor Paulmann
Plophoser

Re: Informazionen Explorer-Klasse

Beitrag von Gregor Paulmann »

superstrijder15 hat geschrieben:Hello Everyone,

I am (very slowly) translating the PR wiki to English. Currently I work on the Explorerflotte article. This article contains very little information on the exploration vessels themselves, and I can't find a lot of info elsewhere either. Do you guys have any information about the Explorer ships?
Hi.

As most of the exploration vessels used by the Solar Empire and it's successors are named by the suffix "EX" and a running number, you will find with the search string "EX" a lot of links in the Perrypedia to some outstanding explorer ships.
You also may use to browse the category "Raumschiffe" with the letter "E".
An alternative approach would be to look into to articles of the ship classes (e.g. SOLAR for pre- and NEPTUN and ATLAS for post hyper-impedance era), where also some specific vessels - which play a significant role in the different plots - are listed.

Cheers,
Gregor
"Ich wusste nicht, dass es unmöglich ist - also habe ich es einfach gemacht." [Jean Cocteau]

"You take care of your tools, your tools take care of you." [Amos Burton (Timothy), Tiamat's Wrath]

"Once people ceased to understand how the machines around them actually functioned, the world they inhabited began to dissolve into an incomprehensible dreamscape" [Greg Egan, "Distress"].

https://www.pinterest.de/Gregor_1970/my ... -drawings/
Batman
Ertruser

Beitrag von Batman »

Nitpick: it's prefix, not suffix ;)
'My hamster is getting antsy. If we be adventurers, let us adventure!'
'Ah, nighttime. Good for sneaking up on enemies.'
'Magic is impressive, but now Minsc shall lead. SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!'
'Butt-kicking for goodness!'
'Evil around every corner, careful not to step in any.'
'Make way, evil! I am armed to the teeth and packing a hamster!'
'When the going gets tough, someone hold my rodent!'
superstrijder15
Siganese

Gregor Paulmann hat geschrieben:Hi.

As most of the exploration vessels used by the Solar Empire and it's successors are named by the suffix "EX" and a running number, you will find with the search string "EX" a lot of links in the Perrypedia to some outstanding explorer ships.
You also may use to browse the category "Raumschiffe" with the letter "E".
An alternative approach would be to look into to articles of the ship classes (e.g. SOLAR for pre- and NEPTUN and ATLAS for post hyper-impedance era), where also some specific vessels - which play a significant role in the different plots - are listed.

Cheers,
Gregor
I already knew to find that list of explorers. I was under the impression all 10k ships were of a single class, but it seems this is not the case after all. It seems that they are military ships with part of the weapons removed and instead research stuff put in. This seems quite inefficient to me in terms of design, but I won't question Perry his choices. In that case, I guess I won't really be able to find any information which applies to all the ships, apart from the fact they are in the exploration fleet.
Bitte hilfe mij mit meine Deutsch und sag mir was Ich sag nicht gut als Ich mach eine Fehler.
Batman
Ertruser

Beitrag von Batman »

Whatever gave you that idea? They original mainline explorers were based on the basic hull of the 500m battlecruiser but they were very much purpose-built, not refitted warships.
The modern NEPTUN-class is arguably more difficult to explain because it seems to be pretty much identical to the battleship version
superstrijder15
Siganese

Batman hat geschrieben:Whatever gave you that idea? They original mainline explorers were based on the basic hull of the 500m battlecruiser but they were very much purpose-built, not refitted warships.
The modern NEPTUN-class is arguably more difficult to explain because it seems to be pretty much identical to the battleship version
There isn't an article, and when you look at the list of EX-####, a lot say that they are 200 or 100m or something like that, also the wiki says (if I read correctly) that perry wanted 10k ships in about 10 years. That is a lot, and those things together make it seem like the project just tried to churn out ships ASAP by using all available lines to make ships with science departments instead of guns.
Paladin
Marsianer

Beitrag von Paladin »

Actually this is not so much. Because in one of his flashbacks Atlan says that he lost around 30 Battlecruisers (don't quote me on the number please :st: ) and that it they will be replaced in a few days. Of course, he was talking about the Shipyards of Arkon III but the Lunar Shipyards have at least the same production rate as Arkon III.
If you say that Perry requested 10k 100m or 200m Cruisers to be build in 10 years this means a production of around two ships a day.
In my opinion this is next to noting in relation to the way ships are being build in PR.
superstrijder15
Siganese

Paladin hat geschrieben:Actually this is not so much. Because in one of his flashbacks Atlan says that he lost around 30 Battlecruisers (don't quote me on the number please :st: ) and that it they will be replaced in a few days. Of course, he was talking about the Shipyards of Arkon III but the Lunar Shipyards have at least the same production rate as Arkon III.
If you say that Perry requested 10k 100m or 200m Cruisers to be build in 10 years this means a production of around two ships a day.
In my opinion this is next to noting in relation to the way ships are being build in PR.
Wow, I checked the Luna article and you are actually correct: by 2100 Arkon III and Luna have about the same rate of production, and seeing the amount of ships the robot-regent made in 100 or so years (100k or so battleships) this should be possible. I guess Sci-Fi translators have no sense of scale...
Gregor Paulmann
Plophoser

Hi.

In my view, in the old Solar Explorer Fleet there was no strict approach to achieve the high number sized fleet, saying"all vessels are purpose build" or "all vessels are from former military services re-used". There was also a broad variety of ship sizes in use (of course due to the need of the particular author of the story... ^_^ ).
I could imagine that Fleet's management under the direction of Reginald Bull, it was very pragmatic oriented. Saying that, most of the fleets ships in the beginning could have been converted/retrofitted from formerly Solar Fleet (military) purposes and have been then sequencenly replaced by custom-build ones. After some decades respectively centuries, the approach might have been completely inverted.
If I remember well also the majority of the Explorer crew mens have a background as formerly Solar Fleet enlisted officers. Only the scientists were mostly civilian ones.
The whole fleet organization ran more of less as a special branch of the Solar Fleet.
"Ich wusste nicht, dass es unmöglich ist - also habe ich es einfach gemacht." [Jean Cocteau]

"You take care of your tools, your tools take care of you." [Amos Burton (Timothy), Tiamat's Wrath]

"Once people ceased to understand how the machines around them actually functioned, the world they inhabited began to dissolve into an incomprehensible dreamscape" [Greg Egan, "Distress"].

Kapaun
Kosmokrat

Beitrag von Kapaun »

As far as I remember the Explorers had their all time high during the era of the Solar Empire, which makes quite some sense, too. Usually they were built on 200m or 500m cells. Being ships with mainly scientific tasks they were poorly armed which led to some losses ...

Reginald Bull was responsible for the explorer fleet in these early days.
superstrijder15
Siganese

Later text resolved out issue: Further down in the German article it says that in 2329 the goal set in 2130 was finally reached. I misinterpreted the text earlier to say the goal was to be completed in 2130, but apparently it was only set in that year. I have now translated most, and the article is online: https://test.perrypedia.proc.org/wiki/EN:Explorerflotte
If you have additional info, feel free to add it!
Fartuloon der Ältere
Terraner

Beitrag von Fartuloon der Ältere »

superstrijder15 hat geschrieben:Hello Everyone,

Hallo Allen,

Ich bin die PR wiki am Überzetzen. Das Artikel das ich übersetzt ist 'Explorerflotte'. Die Artikel habt sehr wenig Informazionen von die Explorer-Klasse raumschiffen, und Ich kan diese nicht finde. Habt sie informazionen von diese raumschiffen?
As far as I remember, most of the explorers were partly disarmed ships of the Solar Fleet, modified for extended sorties.
Most of them belonged to the 200 and 500 meter type (heavy cruisers and battlecruisers). But there were some stories about 100m and 800m explorers.
Ich bin der Mittelpunkt meines Universums!
Quelle: Unbekannter Autor
Gregor Paulmann
Plophoser

superstrijder15 hat geschrieben:Later text resolved out issue: Further down in the German article it says that in 2329 the goal set in 2130 was finally reached. I misinterpreted the text earlier to say the goal was to be completed in 2130, but apparently it was only set in that year. I have now translated most, and the article is online: https://test.perrypedia.proc.org/wiki/EN:Explorerflotte
Just for curiosity: why didn't you make a 1:1 translation of the existing article in the Perrypedia ? And are you sure about the term "Solar Imperium" instead of "Empire" ?

superstrijder15
Siganese

Gregor Paulmann hat geschrieben:
superstrijder15 hat geschrieben:Later text resolved out issue: Further down in the German article it says that in 2329 the goal set in 2130 was finally reached. I misinterpreted the text earlier to say the goal was to be completed in 2130, but apparently it was only set in that year. I have now translated most, and the article is online: https://test.perrypedia.proc.org/wiki/EN:Explorerflotte
Just for curiosity: why didn't you make a 1:1 translation of the existing article in the Perrypedia ? And are you sure about the term "Solar Imperium" instead of "Empire" ?
Also, I try to make a translation which is as close as I can get to the original, but due to my non-perfect German (aka self-taught via translating stuff) knowledge and sometimes non-existent concentration and patience the articles tend to get shorter and not fully translated. I also tend not to translate beyond where I've read the books, as my knowledge of stuff really helps the translating. As I have only read until #276 so far, I tend not to translate far beyond that, which is why there is no info for the NEI of LFT in the English article.
For Empire vs. Imperium, to be true, I don't know what it should be. The Dutch version turns it into Solair Imperium while Solair Keizerrijk might be more sensible, and as I don't have any of the books in English I just extended that. It sounds better to me, but probably that is because I gto used to it.
Batman
Ertruser

Beitrag von Batman »

I'd go with Solar/Solarian Empire. While there IS precedent for using Imperium in english (the Imperium of Man from WH40K) that was a deliberate choice to showcase the anachronistic nature of the setting. Empire is the most appropriate translation in my book.
Del Hayer
Ertruser
Wohnort: Irgendwo im Universum, meistens im Land des Laechelns

Beitrag von Del Hayer »

superstrijder15 hat geschrieben:
Gregor Paulmann hat geschrieben:
Also, I try to make a translation which is as close as I can get to the original, but due to my non-perfect German (aka self-taught via translating stuff) knowledge and sometimes non-existent concentration and patience the articles tend to get shorter and not fully translated. I also tend not to translate beyond where I've read the books, as my knowledge of stuff really helps the translating. As I have only read until #276 so far, I tend not to translate far beyond that, which is why there is no info for the NEI of LFT in the English article.
For Empire vs. Imperium, to be true, I don't know what it should be. The Dutch version turns it into Solair Imperium while Solair Keizerrijk might be more sensible, and as I don't have any of the books in English I just extended that. It sounds better to me, but probably that is because I gto used to it.

If i Translate Solair Keizerrrijk then this means Solares Kaiserreich. On the way Empire / Imperium means almost the same... with some more special differencies. But for this issues Wikipedia explains really good.
Explorerflotte = Explorerfleet . Vessels which are related to the Explorerfleet you find any sizy of spaceships. So it is nor really defined.
Wer vorwärts kommen will, muss auch rückwärts gehen können
Antworten

Zurück zu „PERRY RHODAN-Universum“